If you’re considering divorce, your first plan of action should be to get yourself organized. Likewise, if you’ve just been served with a divorce petition, the sooner you emerge from the haze of confusion and get a plan of order in place, the better off you’ll be.
In this issue, the San Diego men’s divorce lawyers will provide you with a roadmap to a divorce process that will – if followed – go as smoothly as possible.
How Long Does a California Divorce Take?
It will take you a minimum of six months to complete your divorce. There’s simply no way around this mandated waiting period.
Your divorce could last longer — in some cases – much longer if you and your spouse or partner are unable to come to terms with some of your disagreements.
While there’s no getting around the waiting period, there are ways you can speed up the process so it doesn’t last much longer. For example, divorce mediation is an especially effective approach to help smooth over any differences.
Steps to the Fastest and Cleanest California Divorce
- Hire the right divorce lawyer for you. This is perhaps the most important aspect of your divorce. Make the right selection, and things will probably go far more smoothly. The wrong decision could make matters even worse.
Take your time to interview several divorce attorneys, and base your selection on your comfort level. If you’re a father, be sure to select a men’s divorce lawyer who specializes in father’s rights.
At the very least, do not even think of going through the process without a divorce lawyer – it rarely ends well.
- Fill out the necessary forms for a divorce petition and make sure the other party is properly served. This is a legal process, and everything must be done in a specific way.
Be sure to keep all receipts and notifications, as you may be required to prove your spouse or partner has been served.
They’ll have 30 days to file a response.
If there’s no response, the case will most likely be decided based largely in part on your divorce filing petition.
- Set the temporary orders you want. If you’re the party filing for divorce, this is your chance to set the stage for how you want a host of issues to play out. The person filing first can dictate the temporary orders of your case.
These orders specify how issues like custody, support, visitation, and others will be handled as the divorce case proceeds. Your divorce attorney will be able to guide you during the structure of the temporary orders.
- If no there are no disagreements, sign the divorce agreement. The court will most likely go along with any agreements you and your spouse or partner make on your own. All that will be needed is to sign the paperwork for an uncontested divorce.
If there are still disagreements, though, your case will proceed to the court.
- Go to court for the dissolution of marriage. Since both of you are unable to reach a decision on your own, your case will be heard by a San Diego judge. Then, the court will issue its Judgement of Dissolution of Marriage.
What Do I Do If I’ve Been Served With a Divorce Petition?
You should still follow the initial step of hiring a men’s divorce lawyer to represent you and your interests.
Once you’ve made your selection, the most pressing matters are filing a response to the divorce petition within the 30-day window and challenging the temporary orders. That’s crucial because if you don’t challenge the temporary orders, they’re more likely to become permanent.
If You’re Facing Divorce, Call the San Diego Men’s Divorce Attorneys With the Men’s Legal Center.
Emotions and feelings of confusion can run heavy during a divorce. That’s why hiring a men’s rights divorce lawyer is so important.
Here at the Men’s Legal Center, we’ll guide you throughout the entire process, and make sure every aspect of your life if protected legally.
Take advantage of our offering for a free phone consultation by calling 619-234-3838. You can also reach us through email and online.