Nothing can really prepare you for the emotional and financial strain divorce will place on you. There will be headaches and heartaches throughout the divorce process, especially when children are involved. However, there are simple steps you can take to make the process a little less stressful. If you find yourself going through a divorce:
- Support Your Kids – Divorce is a scary thing for children. They will feel insecure in their once secure world. Children often pick up on things parents do and say, so it is important to support them with the right kind of help. Keep their schedule as routine as possible, avoid fighting in front of them and seek professional help if you think your child needs it. Play therapy is a great and safe outlet for children to work through their emotions.
- Only Talk Over Email – When you share children, you will have to communicate. If every conversation ends in a fight, consider speaking only through email. This helps to keep the conversation focused on the kids and makes it much easier to keep track of any statements made by your ex.
- Keep Good Records – When you are going through a divorce, it is crucial that you document everything. Especially as a parent, it is important to be prepared so you can protect your relationship with your children post-divorce.
- Spring Clean – If you stay in the home you shared with your ex, clear out all of the things that reminds you of them. This includes old clothing, pictures and other objects that bring up memories. As you do, you will likely feel that you are making more room for new and better memories as you move forward.
- Say “Thanks” – When kids are involved, it is important to remember that you and your ex are still a team. A simple “thanks” can go a long way in creating a better co-parenting relationship.
- Consider Mediation – Not being able to communicate with your ex is a big issue in divorce and later in co-parenting post-divorce. Consider meeting with a neutral mediator who you trust. A mediator can help bridge the communication gap and help you learn to better communicate with each other without a heated fight.
If you are going through a divorce, it is no doubt an extremely stressful and often confusing time. You should have the best legal counsel on your side. The team at Men’s Legal Center is here to offer you skilled and experienced representation to make your divorce process as smooth as possible.