How To Handle Your In-Laws After A Divorce


How To Handle Your In-Laws After A Divorce

in-laws and divorce

For some men, divorce means more than just freedom from the stress of a bad marriage. It can also mean a release from the toxic in-laws that made their life miserable when they were married. For other men, losing their in-laws is a tragedy. In fact, in some cases, men lament the loss of their in-laws as much as the loss of their spouse!

How you handle your in-laws post-divorce depends on your former relationship with them. If you want to maintain your distance, it is certainly possible for you to do so, as nothing requires you to maintain a relationship with them. However, if you want to keep in touch, you can often find a workable way to do so, especially if you have children.

The Emotional Toll of Divorce

While the old saying “blood is thicker than water” often applies in divorce situations, this is not always the case. In fact, there have been cases in which a wife’s parents actually support the husband’s petition for sole custody, standing by him instead of their own daughter. What is even more common is for the former in-laws to want to maintain a good relationship with the husband in order to maintain access to grandchildren.

If everyone is agreeable, there is no problem with maintaining friendships among former in-laws. Problems develop, however, when family members choose or are forced to take sides in a divorce. This can result in serious emotional distress for everyone involved.

What Are My In-Law’s Rights?

Your in-laws probably have few if any rights to see your children. Access to the grandchildren is usually granted through the parent, so your wife’s parents would normally have access to your children through her. However, if your wife has a poor relationship with her family, you may find that they will try to establish rights to see your children without her intervention.

What you do in this case is up to you, but it is important to remember that your children’s best interests should come first. If you know that your children would benefit from time spent with their grandparents, it is usually best to work with them to arrange visitation if your ex-wife will not.

The attorneys at the Men’s Legal Center may help if you are facing divorce, custody or child support issues. Contact us today for more information.

Share It

Call us at (619) 234-3838

Skip to content
CTA Mobile CTA Email
(619) 234-3838