In an earlier post, we reviewed 10 things to do with your kids in San Diego from a list by San Diego Magazine. As a divorced dad, finding ways to spend quality time with your kids is important, so we have doubled the list to include another 10 exciting activities for you and kids of all ages.
1) Ride the Surfliner all the way to Los Angeles. This train ride is a thrill for those of any age, hugging the beach all the way from San Diego to downtown Los Angeles. At $37 for a one-way ticket, it is an affordable way to spend a Saturday morning.
2) Explore the tide pools at low tide. The Birch Aquarium at Scripps Institution of Oceanography has guided tours of the low tide ecosystems. The next one is on January 23, with February dates available as well.
3) Grab a beach cruiser and bike the bay. Biking at the bay or along Coronado’s Silver Strand is a great way to enjoy the outdoors, especially at sunset.
4) Climb the California Tower. Off-limits since 1935, this iconic Balboa Park tower is now open to the public. There are 10 tours per day; make reservations before heading out. Be sure to bring your camera.
5) See snow in Julian and grab some apple pie. If you missed apple picking in September or October, you can always go next fall. In the meantime, head out in the winter months for some apple pie and you might see a few flakes of snow!
6) Cruise through Point Loma’s Sunset Cliffs Natural Park. These iconic cliffs have been featured in a number of movies, especially those involving surfing. Now, you can take your kids and enjoy a hike, bike, or board yourself! Sunset is the best time to visit.
7) Kayak in La Jolla Cove. There are several companies, such as Bike and Kayak Tours and Everyday California, that rent kayaks and will take you through caves in La Jolla, where you can see a number of native species including leopard sharks.
8) Watch a show beneath the stars. There are so many great outdoor venues in San Diego it’s hard to choose. Check out the lineups at Humphreys Concerts by the Bay, the Summer Pops which also features fireworks, Moonlight Amphitheatre where you can have a picnic, and Balboa Park, which features Old Globe’s Shakespeare.
9) Ride in a hot air balloon. Balloon sites are disappearing fast, so visit Panorama Balloon Tours or Sky’s the Limit for an unforgettable ride.
10) Visit the zoo. The San Diego zoo features giant pandas from China; visit early in the morning or during the week so you do not have to stand in line.
The attorneys at Men’s Legal Center remind you to get out and enjoy time with your family!