While many people bypass an expert to take care of some things — changing the oil in a car, for example – a divorce courtroom is no place for flying solo. While it is legal to represent yourself during your divorce, it’s rarely a good choice.
Pros and Cons of Representing Yourself During Divorce
The pros column in choosing to represent yourself is limited to one entry: saving money on hiring an attorney. That’s pretty much it.
As for the cons column, there may not be enough space on the Internet to list them all, but we’ll delve into some of the biggest cons.
- There’s a reason lawyers spend three or more years in law school – our legal system is very complicated. There’s a bit more to it than merely Googling a few rules and statutes. Even with years of training, they do this because of the realization they can’t do a good job at everything. There are numerous procedures, rules, deadlines, etc. to be learned inside and out in order to practice law effectively.
- Putting together an effective defense – one that is not wrapped in anger and illogical or rambling thoughts – is harder than you think. Ours is a system of common law, and researching case law to decide what laws apply to your case can be a difficult and tedious thing.
- If the divorce is a contentious one, you’re basically making a judge your decision maker. In this instance, you definitely need a lawyer who can position your arguments in the best way.
- There will be a period of negotiation during your divorce, mainly concerned with the division of your assets, debts, etc. Trust us, you definitely need a lawyer who is skilled in the art – and rules – of negotiation on your side. There are a number of specific rules dictating how property is to be distributed that you may be unaware of.
- If children are involved, you’ll need a lawyer to guide you through issues involving custody, visitation, child support, etc.
Let San Diego’s Men’s Legal Center Represent You
There are no two ways around it: going through a divorce is a difficult thing. We’re not overstating when we say that divorce is indeed a life-changing event. Because it is such a weighty thing, we encourage you to have proper legal representation guiding you through the process.
In fact, if you’re facing divorce or are considering it, we invite you to contact us at the Men’s Legal Center in San Diego today at (619) 234-3838.