Have You Missed A Child Support Payment? What Will Happen? 


child support, payments, child support attorneys san diego

The State of California takes unpaid child support payments very seriously.  Under California’s legal code, parents who are ordered to pay child support must make on-time, in full payments or risk serious legal action.

However, the courts also recognize that there are times when child support payments may be late due to unforeseen circumstances.  It is very important if you are unable to make your child support payments on time, that you contact the local child support agency handling our case.   You will still owe the child support, but you may be able to work out a temporary arrangement that will prevent further legal action against you.

What If My Circumstances Change?

In many cases, men who were making child support payments regularly become unable to pay due to a disability, job loss, legal issue, or other problem.  When this does happen, it is very important that you inform the court immediately and request a child support modification order.

The court bases your child support payments on several factors, including the amount the other parent contributes to the child’s care, the standard of living you and your ex should be able to provide for your child and the division of expenses related to your child’s care.  It is possible that you may petition the court to modify these payments when your circumstances substantially change.

However, it is also important that you seek legal advice before you attempt to have your child support payments modified.  The courts do not grant these petitions easily, so it pays to have the help of an experienced child support attorney in petitioning for a reduction or change in child support.

Ultimately, the court will look at your income or lack thereof, the benefits you are able to provide for your child such as health insurance, your expenses, and other child support or alimony payments you may be making.  The court will consider all of this when making a decision about the amount of child support you will be required to pay.

The attorneys at Men’s Legal Center in San Diego are here to help you.  If you are struggling to make child support payments due to a job loss or other life event, contact us for help.  We can work with you to decide on the best course of action in having your child support order modified.

Share It

Call us at (619) 234-3838

Skip to content
CTA Mobile CTA Email
(619) 234-3838