If you are looking for ways to build strong relationships with your children, forget about expensive toys. Studies show that what your kids want most is your time. Spend time doing something fun with your children and you will both build memories to cherish for a lifetime.
As a divorced or separated dad, it is very important that you make every moment with your children count. Here are five ways to strengthen the bonds with your kids without spending a lot of money:
- Do something they like. It may seem self-evident, but spending time with your kids should be about doing things they enjoy. If they like roller skating but you don’t, learn how to skate and surprise them with a trip to the rink.
- Go to their games or activities. Children remember the fact that you came to their games or activities, even if they do not acknowledge it at the time. Get involved with the other parents; you may make some new friends!
- One of the most important things you can do is just listen to your kids talk about their lives. The most fruitful time to do this is when you are both engaged in an activity that does not require much thought, like fishing or walking. The activity seems to enable kids to open up without taking away your attention from what they are saying.
- Do not judge. There is a difference between judging and disciplining. You cannot be your child’s best friend; however, you should always make it clear that discipline is due to behavior and not because your child is unworthy or “bad.” Talk with your child about why the behavior is wrong and come up with solutions that allow him or her opportunities to behave properly.
- Share your own interests. Your kids often want to be just like you, so why not let them become involved in your activities and interests? If you like woodworking, set up a safe area for them to work on simple activities while you do the harder jobs. If you enjoy golfing, take them along. They will remember these moments for a long time to come.
When it comes down to it, bonding with your kids is about giving the best of yourself and expecting the best of them.
If you are facing a divorce or child custody situations, talk with the attorneys at Men’s Legal Center in San Diego today.